nafex - Re: [NAFEX] starting apricots from seed

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] starting apricots from seed
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

I planted 4 apricot pits (from dried apricots imported from Afghanistan) in
little pots, watered them, and put them in the fridge for a few months. One
sprouted in the fridge. Then I purposely killed it because the helpful folks
on this list pointed out that it wasn't guaranteed to be free from the dread
virus plum pox, which could wipe out all my other fruit trees, and I figured
it wasn't worth the risk.

If your seeds are from a plum-pox-free country, I recommend stratifying them.
But a question: why do you want to start from seed, rather than a named
variety?

Melissa