nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Two Garden Huckleberrys

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Two Garden Huckleberrys
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 09:44:35 -0500

Although I'e have had some people tell me that the raw berries sometimes
cause intestinal upset, the garden variety of Solanum nigrum, has been eaten
for generations in Europe. Known as Schwartzbeeren, it is a valued fruit
among the Volga Germans, from which I am descended. It was especially valued
because it produced a fruit in a hot, rather dry climate where few tree or
bush fruits did well, on the steppes of southwestern Russia. Its ripe
berries can be eaten raw and the Volga Germans use them to top Kuchen (and
make pies in this country) as well as a sweet filling for a pasta, known as
Maultaschen, which are something like the dessert version of Ukrainian
vareniki or Polish pierogi. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness
zone 4b)