nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Green rosette?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Green rosette?
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 06:53:19 -0500

Aphids.

Thank-you, Naomi.

I've seen aphids (or what I thought were aphids) on my pear trees. But in that case, the young leaves would just curl, and unrolling the leaf would reveal that the underside was thick with tiny insects. So it didn't occur to me that this might also be aphids. A different species, maybe? I did figure it was some kind of insect.

At any rate, it hasn't been a big problem (nothing as bad as the oriental fruit moths, which also attack the growing tips of these trees). I'll keep cutting these "green rosettes" off the trees when I see them and throw them in the garbage.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Groups are not people; groups don't suffer, groups aren't conscious, groups don't have feelings. It is the individuals who make up the groups who are and have and do all that - and each one does it separately, one at a time. - Ophelia Benson