nafex - [NAFEX] Green rosette?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Green rosette?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 09:31:27 -0500

This hasn't been a big problem, but I sometimes notice on my fruit trees (apricots, plums, and pluots, for sure) where the growing tip at the end of a branch will turn into something that looks rather like a green flower, with the leaves all bunched together in a rosette. What is that?

I'm guessing that it's probably the result of an insect of some kind, perhaps irritating the growing twig to make a safe home for itself? I suppose it could be a disease, but it doesn't seem to spread. And it doesn't look like pesticide damage.

Anyone know? I'm just curious.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Science is not about control. It is about cultivating a perpetual condition of wonder in the face of something that forever grows one step richer and subtler than our latest theory about it. It is about reverence, not mastery. - Richard Powers