nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ants/aphids

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ants/aphids
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 14:00:16 -0400

After Idell's original post suggesting tanglefoot my husband adpated the idea and has been using duct tape (always handy!) wrapped around the tree trunk. While perhaps not as sticky as tanglefoot, it's easier to work with and seems to be doing the job. We're taking care not to stick it directly to the bark and to replace it every once in a while, both for the sake of the growing tree and to remove the bodies of all the ants that, as was previosuly mentioned, begin to form a sort of bridge for the others.

We're trying to be vigilant and check every day ( I think my husband is becoming obsessed!) as it's an ongoing battle including leaf removal/ jet spraying. The good news is that I've seen the ladybugs feasting away so hopefully, together, we can break the cycle and save my trees!

Good Luck to all fellow growers besieged by ants/aphids!

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC
----- Original Message ----- From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>