nafex - [NAFEX] What's eating apple leaves?

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What's eating apple leaves?
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 11:15:38 -0600

Help. I've got a young Yellow Transparent apple that has been trying to put out leaves for a month now and they keep getting eaten by something. I haven't seen anything eating it. We don't have animals that would browse it. No deer. And it's not rabbits because there are actually more leaves at the bottom than at the top. I'm thinking grasshoppers but it's still cool here at 7000 ft and I haven't seen grasshopper activity.

Any ideas of what's doing it and how to combat it? The trees been putting out new attempts at leaves but can't keep that up forever.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)