nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter kill or copper deficiency???

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter kill or copper deficiency???
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:16:26 -0500

Sarah, I never heard of copper deficiency looking like winter kill, but I should probably take notice because I never could seem to get a fig through the winter here despite covering them. What I did read is that copper sufficiency helps tomatoes to keep longer. If you think about plants or harvested fruit in a dormant state during temps that are really too cold to do much more than sit and wait, they are doing pretty much the same thing. Could it be that by having enough copper, they are keeping funguses from eating them up? I think we are a little short of copper, like just about everything else. Donna