nafex - [NAFEX] Winter kill or copper deficiency???

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter kill or copper deficiency???
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

My commercial strawberry producer friends have always had trouble with winter
kill in their berry patch in spite of all the efforts they take to process
bales of straw over their fields in fall. I thought this was a bit odd
because my berries seem to survive fine whether I get around to covering them
or not!

This spring they had their soil tested and came up very deficient in copper
which is a really common condition up here (along with some other things like
Selenium). So they did some research and found some info saying that copper
deficiency kills look just like winter kills!

Our property is not your average flat land and has many soil types even in
the orchard alone so I'm wondering if I'm having the same problem in a
different area. I'm going to have to pursue some soil testing.

But in the mean time, has anyone heard of this?

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB