nafex - Re: [NAFEX] winter kills and Fedorovsk pear

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] winter kills and Fedorovsk pear
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 21:08:08 -0700 (PDT)

The wind does contribute to extra desiccation even in the winter which is a
huge problem for us, but I have no idea if an extremely cold wind is any
worse than a warmer winter wind.

I don't know much about the Federovsk/Fedorovsk/Fedorovski pear. Mine
bloomed two years ago, but in spite of some quality paint brush time by yours
truly; it didn't set any fruit. I see your Corvallis gene bank has it: what a
collection! Canada's gene bank has about the same number of pears that I have
although we do have different varieties.

Here is what the former nursery now turned U-pick Sprout Farms had to say
about the variety:

Fedorovsk Pear:
yellow fruit is large: 6+ cm or 2.36" and tart, acidic.
very vigourous and hardy to zone 2A.

I agree that the tree is vigourous and has grown well for me. And another
member of my local fruit growers group was recently complaining about how
sour it was so that info should be accurate too!

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB