nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Disposal Apple Grinder

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Disposal Apple Grinder
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 01:27:41 -0400

Don Yellman wrote:
>I rise in defense of the disposal apple grinder.

Hello Don,
I see you still defend the merits of the disposal system!
I did try one last year, and I must say I found it very slow. OK, this was
not a good quality machine, and I did not persist much. But in the best
case, it still appears quite slow, as someone posted a short film on
YouTube showing it in use.

I wasn't very pleased with my old grinder either, it produced chunks that
were too big, and often large and soft apples jammed in it, and I had to
push them with a wooden spoon, which was a quite slow process. So I decided
to build a new grinder - this was my winter project! First, I decided to
use a larger rotor of 12 inches diameter - the reasoning being that if with
a 6 inch rotor, small apples (2 - 2.5 inches) are ground easily, the 12 in
rotor should work well with larger apples up to 4 inches. I also made it
with much shorter teeth (3 mm high, or 1/8 inch) to reduce the size of
apple particles.

I have just finished it, and I must say I am very pleased. I made some
preliminary tests from which I expect to be able to grind a bushell in just
a couple of minutes... I can't wait until next fall to be able to test it
with a real bushell of apples.

Total cost was about 80$, but I had a motor that I had taken from an old
laundry machine that had to be replaced a few years ago. The rest was made
from bits of wood I had in the basement.

If you wish, you may see pictures at
http://picasaweb.google.com/cjoliprsf/AppleGrinder2010

And my daughter also made a short (9 seconds) film of the grinder in action
when I did my preliminary test, that I put on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEqievL6_mA

Claude Jolicoeur
Quebec