nafex - [NAFEX] Disposal Apple Grinder

  • From: Don Yellman <don.yellman@webformation.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Disposal Apple Grinder
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:06:13 -0400

I rise in defense of the disposal apple grinder.

Back around the turn of the century, when I began trying to spread the word
on this idea, I had already been using it for three seasons, and its major
drawback -- heat buildup -- was thoroughly covered. Reaction was mostly
disbelief, and a tendency to find reasons not to try it. But a few people
did, and liked it. Other potential issue raised, such as corrosion and
cleanliness, are non-issues. In the intervening years, I have written quite
a few pieces on this idea, some of which are findable on the internet,
covering construction and operation in great detail.

Now a few tinkerers have picked up the idea and tried to address the
overheating issue, if such it be. (See, for example, the website on the
whiz-bang apple grinder.) One technique is to perforate the motor case and
blow compressed air through it during operation. My own concept, which I
have not yet tried, is similar to a wort cooler; that is, surrounding the
motor case with copper tubing secured with band clamps to run a trickle of
water around the motor case with a hose. The objective is to keep the motor
windings cool.

I have altered my thinking on the size and quality of the disposal required,
since I installed a more expensive disposal from Costco and found it did not
work as well as the cheap ($30) Badger model from ISE, which is only 1/3 hp..
The Badger was reinstalled in the table. If your apples are precut in
halves, preferably by a loyal assistant, they will go through the disposal so
fast that a 5-gallon bucket is 2/3 full in less than 10 minutes. The grind
is perfect for pressing with Happy Valley bags, and we do not observe
cloudiness. I once made apple wine from the juice, and it settled out as
clear as horse -- well, you know. I use two pressing bags in my press
basket, and can produce those two continuously without popping the overheat
button. Then it's time for me to take a break anyway, and I allow the
disposal to cool down naturally.

I continue to believe that the disposal grinder is the best solution for the
backyard cidermaker who wants to produce about 10 gallons in a couple of
hours. The disposal is an off-the-shelf item and anyone can knock together
an adequate table stand and wire it up. The disposal grinder is not a
perfect solution, but it is a very good solution, far better than the
expensive hand grinders which produce apple chunks. One of these days, the
prototype disposal grinder, which resides in my basement and is not
particularly pretty, may end up in the Smithsonian. They haven't called yet.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA