nafex - [NAFEX] Dunbars Plums

  • From: Richard MURPHY <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dunbars Plums
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:48:24 +0000

My plants were 3" -- 6" seedlings, planted in lousy soil, half-sun here in zone 6 MA in the spring of 2008. Pine needle mulch and water is all they got for care. I dug them up April 16, 2010 while they were about 24" tall and beginning to leaf out. They are now in zone 4 Maine planted in good clay-loam soil in full sun.

Three of the plants didn't make the trip north because they are now flowering a little.
I'm going to attempt to get them to fruit here in zone 6, even though they are tiny. The Oikos catalog description is all I have to refer to, as the web has no other mention of these. I will continue to post 'Dunbars News' regularly until we reach a verdict regarding it's value as a food source.

Murph

R A Murphy Jr