nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spring grafting

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spring grafting
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:17:50 -0500

Last year someone brought me branches from her grandmother's pear tree in June, and I picked off all the leaves and did a nice splice graft of the tip, with a plastic bag and some wet newpaper in there to make sure it didn't dry out. It was a wet cool year anyway, and I got a good take plus a chip bud took as well. You'd be surprised how much you can break the rules if you are careful to keep your scion from drying out before the part have time to join up. The warmer the temps, the faster it happens. Cool temps merely give us time to be leisurely about handling the scions and getting around to checking on things later. When temps are high, esp when it's hot and sunny, you have to be much more careful about things drying out.
I'm glad I did so much pear grafting last year, as this year we are hot and sunny and it's not raining. I've been watering trees I plan to graft or have already grafted.
Donna