nafex - [NAFEX] treating bees for mites

  • From: William McNam <billmcnam@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] treating bees for mites
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:10:59 -0700 (PDT)

Have any of you beekeepers tried  spraying the frames with undiluted cooking oil--such as canola or olive oil?
This would suffocate the mites and their eggs while giving the bees a needed helping of fat.
Dormant oil has long been used to control mites on fruit trees,but it is a petroleum product (still perhaps less toxic  than synthetic miticides or formic acid.)