nafex - Re: [NAFEX] treating bees for mites

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] treating bees for mites
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:00:28 -0400

I don't think bees usually have fat in their diet... They are very specialized feeders. The mites attack the brood, but maybe the brood would not be too happy covered in dormant oil..??

A friend of mine adds apple cider vinegar to the syrup feeder in the Fall. In what quantity, I don't know. It would create a more acid environment while still be familiar and edible to bees and people... It would change the pH in the hive and make it a less favorable environment for mites... He claimed that it worked...

Hélène, zone 3-4