nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 'Illinois Everbearing' mulberry

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 'Illinois Everbearing' mulberry
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:23:19 -0400

I worked for a nursery for a while about 25 years ago and I noticed that when they grafted ornamental weeping muberries they grafted plants in pots in a greenhouse and kept the temperature very hot for some time. Could any knowledgeable members advise whether this is required when grafting mulberries?

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Melissa Kacalanos wrote:
Our chicken-wire fences work fine, once we put them up, and they worked on our other trees. But these deer literally will eat a newly-planted tree if you turn your back for the time it takes to go get a piece of fencing.
The only question is, should we buy a whole new grafted tree, or try to graft
something on to the rootstock we have?

Melissa

[snip]