nafex - [NAFEX] 'Illinois Everbearing' mulberry

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 'Illinois Everbearing' mulberry
  • Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 12:47:22 -0700 (PDT)

We bought an 'Illinois Everbearing' mulberry from Raintree last year, and a
deer promptly ate much of it the moment we planted it, before we had time to
protect it. It then sent out a lot of sprouts in a bushy sort of way. I think
it's grafted, rather than on its own roots. I can't really tell, but I
suspect that the only live part that's left is sprouting from the rootstock.

We could just remove the whole thing and buy another grafted tree, or I could
take this as an invitation to experiment, obtain some scionwood, and try to
graft it myself. Any opinions, advice, or offers of scionwood?

Melissa
Zone 5, central NY, where all the buds are swelling and starting to pop open,
except for my 'Black Velvet' gooseberry, which has fully-expanded leaves like
it's summer.