nafex - [NAFEX] Growing apples for hard cider in NW Pennsylvania

  • From: Alan Yelvington <alany@semparpac.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing apples for hard cider in NW Pennsylvania
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:19:35 -0400

Hello all,

I'm planting apples for hard cider here in Russell, PA and I'm wondering if there is anyone like-minded living near by.

I'm expecting my second order from Cummins this week and will then have the following varieties in the ground:

Dabinett B.9
Idared G.30
Liberty G.16
Medaille Dor G.16
Redfield B.9
Somerset Redstreak G.11
Spitzenburg Esopus G.30
Tremletts Bitter G.30
Yarlington Mills G.30
Baldwin G.16
Burgundy B.9
Grimes Golden B.9
Hudsons Golden Gem G.16
Major B.9
Northern Spy B.9
Redfield B.9
Roxbury Russet B.9
Winesap Virginia M.9

You can see that I've gone for fully dwarfing rootstock to get maximum density. I'm supporting the trees on high-tensile wire between trellises.

I'd love to have a collaborator in the area to share notes with!

Al Yelvington
Russell, PA