nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Record heat in western PA

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Record heat in western PA
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 10:48:11 -0400

On Apr 2, 2010, at 9:24 PM, John S wrote:

Everything has exploded into growth and we are about 6 weeks from last frost date.  I fear massive losses of fruit crops due to the inevitable frosts yet to come.  My honeyberries, blueberries and a few other things are already in bloom.

We have early growth, too.  I think it will be a benefit, as the apples seem to have accelerated ahead of the winter moths, and if they get a little growth in before the moths hatch, there will be much less damage.  The tiny caterpillars usually burrow into the barely-open buds and can eat out most of the growing tips, including all the flowering parts, in a day or two.  If the growing bits have expanded from a couple of mm of tissue to extended half-cm baby leaves, the usual devastation may be reduced to distorted leaves.  I'm pretty sure green-tip apples can survive light frosts.  Probably even slightly unfurled baby leaves can do so.

Anyhow, here's hoping.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6