nafex - [NAFEX] The passing of Jim Claypool

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] The passing of Jim Claypool
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:04:41 -0500

I am very sorry to hear that one of the most prolific late 20th century Diosporos virginiana breeders is gone. He is immortal through the genetics and varieties that he encouraged that will now live beyond the short mortal existence provided to him - and to us all. I met Jim only once, at the edge of his orchard with White Owl Winery providing refreshments, after we had taste tested in his orchard and scooped up many fine persimmons. I am still grafting his legacy and intend to continue, so that some of those genetics will be in Virginia, supporting a new, stronger culture this side of the Appalachians.

Thank you, Jerry, for passing the news, as sad as it is.

Bless you, Jim Claypool, for all you did for the American Persimmon and those you inspired to grow this wonderful fruit. Peace.

Barbara Rosholdt
Z7
Central Virginia