nafex - [NAFEX] Stakes - Locust & Osage Orange

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Stakes - Locust & Osage Orange
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:33:01 EDT

I have many years of using & observing black-locust tree wood for in-ground use as fence posts.  Trunks (even when split) for posts last longer than any other wood here.  But small trunks or saplings, and stake diameter branches, rot faster than you'd think a rot-resistant wood should.

I've also used black locust posts for many years. I agree with the above 100%. But let me add the following observations. The reason small diameter branches don't last long is it contains soft wood of xylem and phloem which decay faster. Stakes of the heart wood should last much longer but something that can be done to increase the life expectancy is to char the stakes in a fire. Just char the portion being driven into the ground. A wood that lasts even longer in the ground is Osage Orange. I have stumps here that are about 14 inches in diameter, still solid and I'd guess maybe cut off 70 years ago. My Father said he expected a corner post of Osage Orange he placed in the ground nearly 2 feet in diameter to last over 100 years. I have no doubt he was correct.

Jerry