nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Locust Posts

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Locust Posts
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:26:36 -0400

I have used black locust exclusively for my fence posts. I have about
250 of them in the ground now for about 5 years. I had heard of the
charring as a way to prolong post life, but did not have the resources
to accomplish the job before the posts were set. A few posts (about 3%)
have had to be replaced, but most are solid.

I DO have a problem with termite tunnels chronically built on the sides
of the posts. I destroy them when I see them, but they are degrading the
wood.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prolong the life of the posts
that is non toxic or minimally toxic around livestock and food plants?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC