nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Haskaps availability

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Haskaps availability
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 11:40:58 -0500

I also agree with all the NAFEXers who said that Haskaps are delicious. I
haven't managed to collect enough to make jam , but they make a great pie
when mixed with apples, fabulous smoothies, and muffins in my personal
experience.

Unfortunately, I already have far too many things that make good pie or jam (I don't eat jam, anyway). I want fruit I can enjoy fresh and add to oatmeal in the mornings - and which will freeze easily, and then break apart in small quantities (which is the problem I have with freezing peaches), so I can do the same all winter.

Blueberries would be perfect,* but Nebraska isn't suited for them. So I've wondered about Haskaps. But I really don't have any room for them right now. Maybe after a few of my existing trees die, or just disappoint, I'll be ready to look at them more seriously.

* Blueberries really would be perfect, though. And they seem to combine really well with gooseberries - I love that combination! Of course, I've already got strawberries and raspberries, so there's a limit on how much I can eat (and my freezer can hold).

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
I have been a racist since 1921. I don't know how they can think I'm imitating Hitler. - Benito Mussolini