nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flowering quince with fruit

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flowering quince with fruit
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:00:54 -0500

My grandmother, back in AL, had a number of old 'flowering quince' shrubs, as
foundation plantings, that fruited regularly.

I had a couple of old flowering quince bushes here until a few years ago, when I dug them out (and what a job THAT was!). They'd clearly been here a long, long time. They bloomed very nicely, but I only rarely saw any fruit. Well, I didn't pay much attention back then, but I only saw two or three fruit over a matter of years.

Of course, I don't know what variety they were. And I didn't manage them for fruit, either.

This house was built in 1906, and all of the vegetation planted here when I bought it seemed pretty old-fashioned to me: spirea, lilacs, forsythia, flowering quince, rhubarb, yews, irises, day lilies. (I don't know if these necessarily ARE old-fashioned. It just seemed that way to me. Certainly, they required almost no care at all.) At this point, I've gotten rid of everything but the yews, the rhubarb, and the irises, in order to plant fruit trees.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Democracy is not about majority rule; it is about minority rights. If there is no culture of not simply tolerating minorities, but actually treating them with equal rights, real democracy can't take root. - Thomas L. Friedman