nafex - Re: [NAFEX] honeyberries/ hascap

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] honeyberries/ hascap
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 15:29:04 -0800 (PST)

I'm not much of an ornithologist, but what we got cleaned out by were not
robins. Whatever they were, they flew in large flocks and were fairly small,
nondescript little brown jobs. And my bushes have only been there for a
couple years, last year was the second year they found them.

About the frost, my honeyberries took 6" of snow during full bloom and still
put on a full crop. I read that they can take about 7 degrees of frost.

As for pollinators, we have the same dearth of honeybees up here, although I
am assured by our provincial apiculturalist that it is not from colony
collapse disorder. Perhaps it is due to idiot beekeepers such as myself (I
have killed 2 of my three hives thus far this winter!). Anyway, we see a lot
of native wild bees pollinating our stuff and encourage them by leaving
shelterbelts alone. They fly in colder temps than the commercial Large Cell
honeybees anyway (we are keeping small cell honeybees for this same reason).
Small Cell means they grow in 4.9mm cells vs the commercial 5.1 cells).

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB