nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone Confusion

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone Confusion
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 17:12:19 -0500

On Mar 7, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Dan Nave wrote:

I am a bit confused about some of the Zone charts I have seen.
Some put Minneapolis/St. Paul and most of Minnesota in Zone 3 and some
in Zone 4, and some on the transition between the two.

Are some of the charts older than others?

A lot of them were rewritten recently, and quite a few places are now listed as a zone warmer than they used to be.

Your specific location (microclimate) can make a lot of difference also -- very few charts give enough detail to allow for local warm and cold spots. If any of your neighbors are growing fruit, talk to them about what does well in your area; and also try your county extension office.