nafex - [NAFEX] Emergency grafting?

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Emergency grafting?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:45:32 -0500

We've just suffered a period of severe winds up here in Quebec, which happened to bring an old maple tree down right on top of my 2 year old Belle de Boskoop!

While being totally bummed out about it, I'm trying to think if anything can be done.  Basically it broke off right above the root graft. Do you think there's any chance of it growing back? I'm not in any hurry to dig it up so I'll leave it there and see what happens.

However I do have the whip with it's small branches, and I was thinking, could it be worth trying to graft a part of it on to my other apple whip? I have never done this before so I don't really know what I'm doing. I don't want to damage the other tree (better to replace one than two), and I'm not sure this is a good time, being that it's still winter. Could I cut off a part of the damaged tree and keep it refrigerated until the time is right?  Can you even graft to a 2-year old tree successfully?

Any advice appreciated.

Yours ignorantly,

Caren Kirk
St Jerome, QC