nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Emergency grafting?

  • From: Diane Porter <dporter@lisco.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Emergency grafting?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:44:07 -0600

Caren-  Someone will give you better and more detailed advice about how to save your tree.

But right now, bring in cuttings from the one that was broken off. You want pieces ideally several inches long that are straight, not all knotted up with buds. You only need a couple of buds in the piece you're going to graft on to the established tree.

So cut off some ends of branches, up to 9 or so inches long, and put them in a plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel. You could even wrap the damp paper towel around the cut ends. Put the bag in the refrigerator, sealed. You don't want to let those cut ends get dry. That's what has to knit to the other tree.

You can graft it when the sap is starting to rise, not now, if it's still frozen where you are. But you can keep the scion wood in the fridge for several months. I've done it lots of times.

My very first 20 grafts were 95% successful, and I was just following along out of a book and had never seen it done, so don't despair of your tree.

I'll leave it to the experts to tell you how to graft.

Best of luck,

Diane Porter
Birdwatching Dot Com
Birdwatching is your lifetime ticket to the theater of nature.