nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nanking Cherries

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nanking Cherries
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:34:07 -0600

Well, I could grow 'em from seed, too, if the birds didn't get 'em all - and
I'm not even sure any of my original Nankings are still alive - I never
really pay much attention to the abandoned nursery bed anymore - or, at
least, not to the P.americana or P.tomentosa in there.
I remember 'em fruiting one year, and I was sorely disappointed - tiny
little things, maybe twice the size of a grain of wheat or barley, mostly
pit with just a thin rim of pulp surrounding it. Hardly enough to even
taste. Not worth the trouble to walk the 50 yards to pick.
Used a few as dwarfing rootstocks for peaches and plums.

LLP