nafex - Re: [NAFEX] More Cherry information/ Carmine Jewel

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: david.maxwell@dal.ca, NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] More Cherry information/ Carmine Jewel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 16:04:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi David,

All the emails have been talking about vegetative reproduction by which I can
only assume they mean propagation by suckers. Each of the U. of S. and
Evan's cherries sucker to some extent, some much more than others! They can
be propagated by cuttings, but it is not easy. The experts I know assure me
that it requires rooting hormones, steady and precise bottom heat combined
with misting from above. And after all this: I'm reluctant to chop anything
off my cherry trees as they are small bushes.

I've also not seen bacterial gummosis on anything but my peaches and apricots.

Of all the Canadian cherries there are only a few differences: Evan's cherry
grows as a tree with oval shaped pits (can use a pitter, just very
carefully!) whereas the others are bushes and have round pits. Depending on
the source (yes, the naming was screwed up right from the minute they were
named) Juliette (from DNA gardens) or Valentine (from everyone else) is the
tart, light red of the 6 U. of S. cherries while all the rest are very dark
coloured. Evan's is also light red. I don't notice a lot of taste difference
between any of the dark U. of S. cherries or the Rose Cherry. I will say
that of all my trees, its a Crimson Passion that consistently gives me an
extra 20 or so free trees a year whether I want them or not!

There are quite a few Canadian sources for these cherries:

Dominion Seed House: www.dominion-seed-house.com
has 2 1/2 inch pots of Juliette and Romeo available for $27.00/1, $72.90/3 or
$48.00/pair or $89.10/3 pairs.

T&T Seeds: www.ttseeds.com
has Carmine Jewel for $12.05/12" tree, 2 or more for $11.95 each and orchard
packs of 10 for $105.00. They also have Crimson Passion and Romeo for
$14.95/12" tree, 2 or more for $13.95 each and orchard packs of 10 for
$125.00. They also have the Rose Cherry for $15.95/12" tree and 2 or more
for $14.95. I have these and they have a nice size fruit with excellent
flavour.

McFayden: www.mcfayden.com
has Cupid cherries for $19.95/1, $18.95/each for 2 and $17.95 each for 3 or
more.

Boughen Nurseries at Valley River, MB: www.boughennurseries.net
seems to be the only source that carries all of the cherries (they also have
Evan's, but the price got cut off!!) and they have always shipped me very
nice huge trees that have great roots so don't be off put by the prices.
They have Carmine Jewel and the Rose Cherry for $22.75 each. They have
Crimson Passion and Valentine for $26.95 each. And they have Cupid, Juliette
and Romeo for $25.95 each

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB