nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advocates envision free fruit and nuts for Madison parks

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advocates envision free fruit and nuts for Madison parks
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 19:10:50 -0600

I agree with Bill. Fruit growing is pretty labor intensive around here.
I've seen lots of folks with the mindset of "plant trees and harvest fruit".
They never get much. With peaches, if they aren't thinned, the branches
will eventually be laying on the ground (broken). Even with serviceberries,
we have such bird pressure, I can't imagine much of a harvest without
netting. This concept may work well in areas with little pest pressure, but
I can't imagine them trying it here.

Mark
East KS
Zone 6

P.S. In this locale, black walnuts seem to do pretty good with little labor,
but nobody does anything with them.