nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advocates envision free fruit and nuts for Madison parks

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advocates envision free fruit and nuts for Madison parks
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:07:42 -0800 (PST)

I can see this working with truly easy species, like juneberries and
mulberries, but peaches?

I started a mulberry-picking trend at a park last year, and everyone was
delighted at the novelty. I had to assure passers-by many times that
mulberries really are edible, but they eventually believed me, and enjoyed
the fruit themselves. (This was an unusually flavorful mulberry.)

I can see potental "liability issues" from people climbing trees to reach the
fruit. My neighbor's pear tree is enormous. If this program is in a place
that's libertarian enough to allow people to climb trees at their own risk,
it could work.

Melissa