nafex - [NAFEX] Kasseler Reinette apple

  • From: derry&bill <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Kasseler Reinette apple
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:09:33 -0800

Someone is looking for scionwood. He said:

"Kasseler Reinette (aka Reinette Kaselska) was grown since 1910 by my grandfather. The apple looks like medium flatter Granny Smith. The skin is green and some apples have a red cheek. Also, it has cream color flesh that turn brown when oxidized. The picking time is the end of September. They are extremely hard and sour-tart. After February, they turn more yellow and sweeter. They last until June. They are excellent cooker and the number one apples for apple strudel. The reason I am looking for this apple is because of the shorter growing season and cold hardiness. Please let me know if you come across this variety".

Does any one know of this apple? Maybe it has yet another name?

I googled and got four hits. There is a paragraph from two ISHS article but I don't have access to the rest of the articles (not a member of ISHS).

It looks like it comes from the Ukraine or somewhere quite cold.

Derry