nafex - [NAFEX] Pawpaw seedlings

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pawpaw seedlings
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:42:43 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2010 4:18:55 PM Eastern Standard Time, dwoodard@becon.org writes:

I recall a statement (possibly on this list) that insufficient moisture
(less than lots) produces a requirement for shading of pawpaw seedlings
in the first year or two.

There may be a definition problem here.  A first-year seedling originating from a seed planted in the ground stands a much less chance of surviving the sun then a one-year seedling with a good root system that is being transplanted.
Aspiration doesn't seem to be the problem the first year from seed, rather than oversensitivity to UV. The reason is unknown, or at least I've never seen a good explanation for it.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Pawpaw seedlings, Jwlehman, 02/08/2010