nafex - [NAFEX] water sprouts for scion wood

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] water sprouts for scion wood
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 16:15:37 -0500

All that I've ever used for grafting is water sprouts.  I also do my grafting mostly onto water sprouts as usually I'm turning varieties over to other varieties.  I let the grafts grow straight up for a couple years and then bend them in the direction I want my new scaffold.  Either that or I graft onto a water sprout on the trunk and turn the tree into the new variety from that point creating a new central leader.  Cleft grafts are too gruesome and time consuming, not to mention 3 years of ugly.

Anyone suggesting a problem with water-sprouts is talking about something I can't imagine.  The wood itself can sometimes have incompletely formed buds which is best to avoid, but those are usually towards the base.

  • [NAFEX] water sprouts for scion wood, Alan Haigh, 02/05/2010