nafex - Re: [NAFEX] persimmons

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] persimmons
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 09:01:53 -0800 (PST)

I'm considering planting an American persimmon tree. I don't have a lot of
room, so I probably have room for only one of these big trees. Is it true
that 'Yates' sets fruit without pollination, and they're seedless? It sounds
too good to be true, so I'm checking with y'all. Are these seedless fruit as
numerous, big and tasty as seedy pollinated ones would be?

Oh, and someone asked about blue persimmons a little while ago. I notice that
they're for sale here:
http://www.nolinnursery.com/Persimon.htm
although I've heard that they don't taste as good as the orange ones. They do
look interesting, though. Here's a picture, plus info:
http://www.simmonfruit.net/persimmon_improvement.html

But now a persimmon growing question: The only place in my yard big enough
for a big tree like that is just to the west of a huge sugar maple. Anything
I plant there would get sun only after noon, unless it somehow grows really
tall really fast and shades the maple. Would a persimmon do OK with
competition like that?

Melissa
zone 5 central NY
Eating frozen strawberries, and looking at the snow.