nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Anyone know where to get Osage Orange seedlings?

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Anyone know where to get Osage Orange seedlings?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 19:24:02 -0600

To me, bletted = just this side of rotten.

A Maclura fruit that's lain on the ground and gone
through several successive freeze-thaw cycles is soft
and mushy, and it's a fairly simple matter to mash
around and squeeze the seeds out - but I'll caution
anyone to wear some impervious gloves - they stink to
high heaven(and I'm and epert on stink!), and the
smell will permeate the skin of your hands - takes a
couple of days to wear off.
I'm thinking that somewhere I've seen someone
recommend putting soft, mushy OO fruits in a bucket
of water, mashing them thoroughly, and stirring
vigorously - either the pulp floats to the top and
can be discarded, or maybe it's the seeds that come
to the top - though I suspect that viable seeds
probably sink to the bottom.

Lucky