nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT- Wild duck- No good deed goes unpunished

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT- Wild duck- No good deed goes unpunished
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 11:28:54 -0600

Naomi, how a bird’s flesh tastes  depends primarily on the species of duck (which largely determines what the bird eats).  For example, a mallard, canvasback, teal or redhead is delicious, no matter to what degree of doneness it is cooked.  A coot or merganser’s flesh tastes strong and fishy because that’s what they eat.   Often cooking a bird to the rare or medium rare degree of doneness helps ensure the meat is juicy. Recipes often call for cooking the breast to the rare point, and the rest of the bird to well done.   I’d soak the bird in salted water overnight to remove any blood and to ensure the meat is juicy, and to help keep it succulent, lay strips of salt pork or bacon on the breast of the bird before roasting it.  My mom usually stuffed ducks with a mixture of chopped apple, chopped onion, and sauerkraut.  I think this helped the tenderization process and perhaps kept it from tasting strong.   My favorite way of preparing is salmi of duck.  – Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.