nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Recent Scottish raspberry breeding: Glen Lyon - a born again raspberry

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Recent Scottish raspberry breeding: Glen Lyon - a born again raspberry
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:32:59 -0800 (PST)

Certainly a new variety must yield as good or better and have better fruit
quality characteristics than older ones to become accepted by growers and and
packers. Flavor suffers for a variety of reasons that often have more to do
with picking and shipping the crop fresh and in good shape than what the
fruit actually tastes like when it is picked completely ripe.

Of course these are more of an issue with fruit for fresh market. All three
raspberry breeding programs here in the Pacific Northwest place a high
importance on flavor and color of new selections because the industry here is
based primarily on processing and those are two critical characteristics of
processed fruit. While something may be released if it is an improvement in
disease resistance or yield while only having acceptable flavor, extensive
sensory evaluations of IQF fruit are conducted on advanced selections every
year (and puree too, though less regularly) to make sure that flavor really
is good before something gets named and released.

Certainly some of this has to do with the fact that in the supermarkets
people buy fresh fruit with their eyes and with processed (i.e.
packaged)products people are more likely to only repeat their purchase if
they are happy with the flavor and quality they receive because they aren't
picking up on the visual appeal as much.

For what it's worth, a variety mentioned in the piece, 'Tulameen', which came
from the British Columbia breeding program and which was once (still is?) the
most widely planted variety in the world, probably has the best flavor of any
raspberry out there.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon