nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tall persimmons
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:15:37 -0800 (PST)

I probably just need someone to talk me out of this, but y'all got me
thinking about persimmons again. Is it possible to grow them in zone 5a,
upstate NY? I know the American species is hardy to this zone, but do the
fruit have enough heat and time to mature here? How about this Rosseyanka
hybrid?

I saw a kaki tree in Switzerland in December that looked ridiculous, it had
so many gaudy orange fruit on it. It made me think that a persimmon might be
worth planting just as an ornamental.

Melissa
Enjoying the smell of candying citrus peel on the stove, and looking out at
the snow.