nafex - [NAFEX] Currants and White Pine

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Currants and White Pine
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:04:06 -0600

Seth Jones asked, "I'd love to plant currants in the spring but am worried about the White Pines I have around my house. Been trying to sort out which varieties are safe and am a little confused. Anyone have some good hard information on this."

I have had Red Lake Currants for twelve years. There is also wild currants nearby in the woods. Both have Blister Rust but the White Pines haven't been affected. I suspect the White Pines are resistant and, if so, could the hype about planting currants be unfounded?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: