nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Currants and White Pine

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Currants and White Pine
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 12:08:33 -0600

I wonder, if white pines were such important and common trees Up North and the WPBR has been here a hundred years, and if it's true that the native wild currants could spread the spores for hundreds of miles, and if it was really as bad as they thought it was way back in the 1930's, maybe this is a case of rapid development of resistance. Of the many many pests and diseases that have been moved to new continents by humans to wreak havoc, most have eventually just become part of the background. Japanese beetles are the one that I have watched for 25 years now gradually shifting from all consuming plague to mere nuisance. They barely even made it to nuisance status last year. Donna