nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ribes update

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ribes update
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:16:10 -0500

My picks for gooseberries that combine very good flavor with very good disease resistance are Poorman, Black Satin, Red Jacket (not the European variety with this same name), and Glendale, all of which thrive in my NY's Zone 5 Hudson Valley farmden. Hinonmakis Yellow is an excellent variety except that it has not borne well for the past two years; it is very weak growing and was too inundated by other plants. I've moved it.

The very best tasting gooseberries are those European ones, such as Whitesmith, Webster, etc. They have very mean thorns and are very susceptible to mildew.

Pixwell is small, tough, and too tart, not worth growing at all, in my opinion. I also don't consider Hinonmakis Red (aka Lepaa Red) worth growing or eating.

As far as blackcurrants, I like the taste of Titania very much. Other favorites are some of the Russian varieties, such as Kirovchanka and Belaruskaja. As a matter of fact, they are among my favorite of all fruits! I'm digging up all my Consorts as well as Ben Sarek, the latter having large berries but, to me, bad tasting.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book