nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jim Elie...Trebizond Dates

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jim Elie...Trebizond Dates
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 16:43:32 +0000

Hey Scott,

While transplanting the young trees, I noticed that there were multiple
trunks that were rooted, either from a couple seeds germinating or from the
some of the lower wood rooting. It was basically coppicing taking place
from the plant having been set low in the pot and any additional trunks and
branches managing to root on their own. Russian olive are classified as a
large shrub to a small tree so multiple trunks are a common occurrence. All
of the rooted branches and trunks that I had separated were rooted enough to
survive the transplanting and manage some fair growth through the growing
season.

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI
zone 4/5