nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Airlayering Jujube

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Airlayering Jujube
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:09:11 -0400

In researching the literature on jujube for my book Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden, I didn't come across air-layering as a method for propagating this plant. One problem with air-layering any plant in cold climates is that air-layering usually takes many months, yet developing roots on an air layer could not survive ambient outdoor temperatures, to which they would be exposed up in the branches. Here is what I did write about clonal propagation of jujube in the jujube chapter of my book:

            Suckers, root cuttings, and grafts are ways to propagate superior jujube clones. A clone to be propagated by suckers or root cuttings must be on its own roots, that is, it should not be a grafted tree. Success with root cuttings is variable, depending on the clone, and plants grown from root cuttings will not develop the taproot of trees grown from seed. Stem cuttings root with difficulty.

            Grafted plants grow vigorously. Chip budding, T-budding, and whip-and-tongue grafting have all been successful---as long as scionwood is not chosen of stems destined to be deciduous. Jujube plants are precocious. Grafted trees have even been known to bear some fruit in the same season in which they were grafted!

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book