nafex - Re: [NAFEX] solarizing soil

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] solarizing soil
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 22:19:04 -0500

It takes a good long period of high heat to kill diseases, maybe less to kill weeds. We are talking summertime, not winter. It might be easier to just put down cardboard, like a lasagna garden. We had a patch of johnson grass that I fought for years, finally put down cardboard and feed sacks and grew a couple hills of gourds there. I only had to pull the johnson grass from the small area where the vines were planted, and it got rid of nearly all of it. If he'll pile his leaves and grass clippings on the cardboard, it'll be camouflaged pretty quick.