nafex - Re: [NAFEX] solarizing soil

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] solarizing soil
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 12:49:07 -0700

You need to do this in a summer month. Water the soil well, and cover with
clear plastic, about 3 mil. Weigh or fasten down the edges. Wait a full
month. The hardware clear plastic I've used will degrade and not stand a
second use. Even if it looks good, I would expect it to fall apart before
it does the job.

It used to be thought that black plastic would do better, as it heats up.
The problem was that the plastic retained the heat, and heat penetrated the
soil less deeply than with clear plastic.

~ Stephen