nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ashmead's Kernel apples are deliciously ugly

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ashmead's Kernel apples are deliciously ugly
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:43:23 -0500

Pete Tallman wrote:
Sadly, Ashmead's Kernel seems not hardy for this area. Applesource says not winter hardy and not much cropping here. One more year without crop when everything else is cropping then this gets topworked.

It crops well for me, and I'm in Zone 4b, along the Illinois-Wisconsin border.  We've had two brutal winters in a row--record-breaking snow falls, January thaws with tornadoes, etc.  Really the worst weather for anything.  Yet, the Ashmead's Kernel troops on.

I, too, first discovered the apple in an Applesource sampler and had to grow it.  The flavor is exquisite.  Apples are great long keepers, but they make great cider!
Doreen Howard