nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ashmead's Kernel apples are deliciously ugly

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ashmead's Kernel apples are deliciously ugly
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:22:57 -0400

That is sad.  Ashmead's kernal is my family's favorite apple, and I make a trek to the one semi-local orchard that sells it each fall.  It's a small ugly apple, but it does taste good.  It's an apple for those of us who like an acidic apple.  Lots of acid, lots of sugar, and a very nice apple flavor.  This year it's larger and milder due to all the rain we had, but in a typical year it can be almost too intense.

Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6, where Ashmead's Kernal seems to grow with no problems, although it's a little shy to bear.