nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Golden Russet apple

  • From: "Whipple, Andy" <ANWHIPPLE@TAYLORU.EDU>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Golden Russet apple
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:21:12 -0400

Brian and Ed,

I have two different Golden Russets in my little orchard.  One is a small-medium,  fairly round fruit, that is one of our favorites  (east central Indiana, zone 5b, maybe an hour east and north from Brian).  It is ready in late September – early October at which time it is hard, crisp, quite sweet and juicy  yet with many other flavors so as to make it quite tasty.  It’s much more than simply sweet.  The other Golden Russet produces fruit that are medium in size and rather flattened in shape.  They are sweet and adequately juicy, but not nearly as full-flavored as the other Golden Russet.  That tree I’ve top worked to other varieties given its lesser quality of fruit.

This year I had the most fireblight I’ve had in the orchard, but I don’t recall the good Golden Russet being infected.  With just one tree, though, that’s not much to go on

So which of these is the True Golden Russet?  I don’t know, but perhaps Ed can comment.  We really do like the eating out of hand quality of the round Golden Russet, though  I can’t comment on its use in hard cider.

Andy Whipple, just outside of Upland, Indiana